Project 3: Package Design
- Copy of the original individual photos
- A print of your new packaging design
- A print of your new web banner ads (3) for your packaging product
You will design:
- New packaging design for a product of your choice
Only design the front of the package/box/can
Size: At least 7–8", 300ppi, CMYK
- New web banner ads (3) for the same product (use the same brand assets as you did on your packaging)
• Leaderboard Ad - 10.125"w x 1.25"h, 300ppi, RGB
(will be 729 x 90px at 72ppi)
• Medium Rectangle Ad - 4.167"w x 3.472"h, 300ppi, RGB
(will be 300 x 250px at 72ppi)
• Wide Skyscraper - 2.222"w x 8.333"h
(will be 160 x 600px at 72ppi)
Use Google Advanced Search to find usable, hi-res photos. Be sure to use the usage rights filter when searching for photos and backgrounds to use in your design. Find images that are at least 2000–3000 pixels wide or tall. This will ensure you have enough resolution to work with.
I would suggest you use new images and backgrounds in your designs—so they are free to use. You may also use your own photos if they are hi-res and good quality.
Check out my Behance collection for student examples and idea starters: Packaging Design examples.
These design elements:
Remember: find images that are at least 2000–3000 pixels wide or tall. This will ensure you have enough resolution to work with.
were used to make this packaging:
Examples of web ads
• Make all three of your web ads look like they go together
• Remember the "call-to-action" button