Graphic Design & Marketing
Companies use email marketing blasts to reach customers directly with product announcements, sales, specials, educational information, how to use a product, and recipes.
I create my email blasts using Mail Chimp's online web interface.
- You will design: three email marketing blasts
- Size: use a responsive Mail Chimp template
- Software: Use Mail Chimp or another online email marketing program
- Presentation: Behance
Follow a design process
- Define your project's objective
- What does your customer want?
- What is your message?
- Who is your target audience?
- Find inspiration
- Research the competition
- Research what other designers are doing
- Find trends in design, type, colors, photos, and art styles
- Find a real guide or template to use
- Sketch your ideas
- Present your work
- Critique - get feedback
- Adjust your design as needed
- Reflect on your design and feedback
- Email Blasts (Behance)
Creating an E-mail Blast with Mail Chimp
- Open a Mail Chimp email marketing account.
- Next, I create a campaign and use Mail Chimp's web interface to design it. Here's what mine looks like:
- Remember, focus each email on one thing. Less is more. Then set them into action.
- Show them your brand so they know it's you
- Show/tell them one thing
- Educate them on your one thing
- Show them how/where to get your one thing
- Allow them to share it
- Mail Chimps templates use certain file sizes. Here's a link to their specs webpage:
Mail Chimp Image requirements for Templates
- Here's a sample email I use and the image sizes. Note that most templates and emails are set at a standard 600px wide. Length is flexible. I double the pixel width for use on high-definition displays
- I place a call-to-action on my website to get customers to sign up for emails. This is the form that mail Chimp provides.
- After a customer signs up, Mail Chimp manages my email list. They track who opens my emails, who clicks on links inside my emails, who bounces, and who unsubscribes.
To my students: create three branded email blasts for a company of your choice. Test them to your email and screen-capture them. Now you have a email blast suite to show off in your portfolio.
I hope this tutorial helps you and your business on your way to reaching your customers with e-mail marketing. If you can learn to create the e-mail blasts by yourself, with Mail Chimp's help, the cost of this advertising is virtually free. Great price!